Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Study Hall: Book Club


*Not directly hair related* I apologize; I'm not trying to turn this into a fashion blog (Lord knows I'm extremely under-qualified, LOL)

I just wanted to go back a bit and elaborate on my previous scarf post. I always like to take my research a step futher so of course, I has to visit my library. On top of the HOURS I spent watching YouTube videos, I was still hungry for more. To my surprise, I found NUMEROUS other ways to rock scarves! The books that I checked out, exposed so many other options that I didn't know existed. While I enjoy internet sources, I always strive to compliment that knowledge with addtional resources (regardless of the subject matter). May I suggest the same to you?

Here are some books that were available to me:

99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Tie & Rock Your Scarf – Faith Blakeney, Justina Blakeney & Ellen Schultz
How many times have you looked at a scarf and thought, “cute, beautiful pattern . . . but what do I do with it?” Now with just a few basic tools and skills, everyone from a sewing novice to a fashion guru can reincarnate scarves old and new into party tops, ponchos, or even flowy evening dresses. The techniques are simple, the supplies are easy to find, and every one of the 99 awe-inspiring projects takes an hour or less, from start to finish.

How to tie scarves – Edie Weber
Next time you select a scarf to match your outfit and the occasion, tie it in one of these 24 distinctive styles. Full-color photos display every step and technique, along with fashion models showing off each finished touch. Experiment with your favorites for formal and informal occasions: * Windsor knot for the dress-for-success look * Whirligigs that add dazzle to casual * The turtleneck look and the double-ring look for casual dress * Ironed pleats for evening wear Add your favorite jewelry, as you braid a scarf with a gold necklace, or adapt scarves to different collar styles. The showstoppers: dramatic over-the-shoulder styles that plunge the length of your jacket in front, as well as imaginative streamers and pigtails down the back. 48 pages (all in color).

Sensational Scarves: 30 Fabulous Ideas for Twisting, Draping, and Folding – Carol Endler Sterbenz
A well-known artisan and best-selling author offers expert advice and step-by-step instructions on how men and women can use scarves to add color, style, and flair to any outfit.

The Complete Book of Scarves: All You Need to Make, Decorate, Embellish, Tie & Wear – Jo Packman
This elegantly photographed collection of scarves to make and enhance embraces the simple and the sensational. The fabrics specified include those found in notions departments and luxurious upscale fabric stores...and results subtly accent an ensemble or create daring and dramatic fashion statements. Clear, numbered directions for making and decorating various types of scarves are punctuated with profiles of the craftspersons....Those less dexterous who prefer simply to shop for their finishing touches, and those who have successfully created their scarves of choice, will appreciate the final chapter, which offers several pages of photos and diagrams of ideas for typing, draping, wrapping, and even decorating with scarves, allowing anyone to tie one on with style.--Booklist. 128 pages (all in color).

The five-minute scarf arranger – Pia Tryde Sandeman
Scarves continue to be the most touted, the most popular and the most versatile accessory in women's fashion. Here are instructions for creating more than 30 fabulous scarf arrangements.

I found these books very helpful. There are dozens of published books on scarves. Your local library may have a different selection but if you’re interested, it’s definitely worth a visit.

Thanks for reading. Be blessed!

CallaLily

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails