Sunday, October 4, 2009

More kitchen experiments

This weekend I’ve been creating more hair potions. Pictured from left to right: conditioning spritz, herbal acv, herbal hair oil.

Conditioning Spritz: water infusion of the same herbs used in my oil. To this was added, aloe vera gel, vegetable glycerin, grapefruit seed extract, sage essential oil and tea tree essential oil.

Herbal ACV: I put herbs in a glass jar, poured the apple cider vinegar over the herbs and stirred it. The herbs will need to steep in the vinegar for at least 3 weeks. I will stir or shake the jar once a day for the first week. After I strain the herbs, I will use this for hair rinses (diluted in plain water or an herbal infusion). NOTE: You MUST use a plastic lid or put a plastic barrier between the opening and lid if you are using a metal lid!

I used these herbs:

Mint – Wonderfully fragrant, mint is refreshing, stimulating, and invigorating. It is antiseptic and anesthetic in nature, creating a cooling, soothing effect.

Lavender – The flowering tops of this herb have a delightful aroma. Lavender has cleansing and astringent qualities. It is also very beneficial as a cellular regenerator for the skin.

Oregano – This aromatic herb is stimulating, antiseptic, and astringent (having good cleansing properties). Oregano is effective as a hair detangler and softener.

Rosemary (see oil post for info)

Nettle (see oil post for info)

Herbal Hair Oil: This is the result of my infused olive oil from two weeks ago. I wanted to let it infuse for another week but was getting impatient. After I strained the oil, I added vitamin E, peppermint essential oil and lemongrass essential oil.

I am really having fun with the various herbs I’ve purchased for hair concoctions. Hubby teases me when he walks in on my experiments – refers to me as a mad scientist (sinister laugh and all) :-). Hope this will inspire you to whip up a batch of tonic for your tresses.

Thanks for reading. Be blessed!

CallaLily

* Information was referenced from Naturally Healthy Hair

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails