Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ayurvedic hair care



I have been wanting to do a post on Ayurvedic hair care for some time now. Trouble was, I couldn’t locate a source(s) that spelled out a straight forward approach to it. After much web surfing, here is my effort to offer the understanding I acquired on this matter.

Background
Ayurveda (which means “Science of Life”) is an intricate system of traditional medicine native to India. It is a complete approach to health care designed to promote a lifestyle rather than an occasional treatment. Ayurveda maintains the art of living in harmony with nature by restoring balance to the individual, resulting in self-healing, good health and longevity. Mind, body and spirit need to be addressed both individually and in unison to ensure overall health.

According to ayurveda, the five fundamental elements that make up the universe – space, air, fire, water and earth – also make up the human physiology. Your mind and body type is called your dosha. Each of the three doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha – are a combination of two elements. Vata dosha is made up of space and air. Pitta dosha is a combination of fire and water. Kapha dosha is made up of water and earth. We each have all three of the dosha in our physiology, just in different proportions, so your dosha is unique and personal; it is like your fingerprint.

Ayurvedic approach to hair care
In Ayurveda, hair is considered to be a by-product of bone formation. The tissue responsible for building bones is also responsible for the growth of hair. There are three Ayurvedic hair types – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Vata hair tends to be thin, dry, frizzy and prone to split ends. Pitta hair is fine and prone to premature thinning or graying. Kapha hair is usually very thick and oily.

For specific treatment of the hair, a variety of herbs are used in cleansing, conditioning and even hair coloring. Regular scalp massages done with infused oils are promoted, as well as overnight oil conditioning. Refrain from brushing hair when it is wet and it is preferred that you allow hair to air dry.

So in a nutshell, take the very best care of your hair by being gentle and nourishing it (and you) from the inside out. I could not find where the Ayurvedic approach is outlined in a neat little instruction guide for hair regimens. I hope this information will be helpful to someone.

Thanks for reading. Be blessed!

CallaLily

7 comments:

Jc said...

Great post. I have wondered what ayurvedic means as many people seem to say henna, amla etc are part of it. While this might be true, it is apparent to me that there is a deeper meaning and you have done the ground work! Great article

Ardourliene said...

I really like the ayurvedic hair care approach. This post reminds me How I need to get some henna and apply it to my newly cut strands.

CallaLily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CallaLily said...

Wow - thanks Jc. That compliment is HUGE to me coming from you (blushing)!

ChocolateOrchid said...

Can't wait to incorporate more ayurvedic herbs into my regimen.
Great post!!

Miss Dior said...

This is very interesting I had no ideal!

Leila said...

I would love to re-post this article on Black Girl with Long Hair! Please let me know if that's okay. My email address is blackgirllonghair@gmail.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails