Sunday, August 9, 2009

Commercial or Homemade?

Are you a “mixtress” or do you prefer to purchase commercial products? I don’t think of myself as a mixtress but I have come to realize that I have mixed up quite a few hair potions since going natural. As you may know, I devote Friday’s to posting hair recipes for those interested in mixing their own hair brews. So, how many of you like to do that? Do you do it frequently or only occasionally? What type of products do you make? Have you had failures and did they keep you from trying other hair mixes?

In recollecting what things I have attempted to mix up for my hair, here is the list I came up with: pre-poos with honey or molasses added, hair spritzes, hair conditioners using food items, whipped shea butter hair moisturizer (I ended up giving to my mother), baking soda rinses, herbal ACV rinses, henna treatments, bentonite clay treatments and hair oil (mixture of 3 oils known to penetrate the hair shaft – check here and here)

Here is what I learned from those experiments: (1) Honey and molasses are messy! (2) Some foods are hard to rinse out of your hair so now if I need to use banana I substitute for the jarred baby food instead and if I am using avocado, I puree it in the blender first. (3) In the future, I will probably only use unrefined shea butter and coconut oil to make my hair moisturizer. (4) I want to try infusing herbs into my hair oil mix for added benefits.

Mixing up a “hair tonic” can be both fun and fulfilling. If you’ve previously had some unfavorable results, I encourage you to give it another shot. I like making my own products for time to time but I will always purchase some commercial items – hey, I’m still a product junkie in recovery :-)

Thanks for reading. Be blessed!

CallaLily

3 comments:

MissBrandiss said...

I love making my own mixes. I appreciate all the businesses out there that specialize in handmade hair products, but sometimes, the price + shipping (+ wait time) is a bit much for me. So when I have the ingredients, I will mix up something in a quick minute!

I've tried moisturizing spritz mixes, shea butter mixes, hair gelly (aloe based mix), bentonite mixes, caramel treatment, and probably some other things to.

I want to try infusing my own hair oil too. I tried to do a hair oil with sulfur and I didnt to much care for it. I think the infusions would be better at promoting a healthy scalp.

ChocolateOrchid said...

Hey Lady!

It's funny you posted this. I am an outright PJ. Although, I'm better than what I used to be I still consider myself to be such. Lately though, I've found an interest in making my own shealoe, hair oil and hair tea rinse. Go figure. Maybe I'm evolving. I believe I've found a pleasure in my attempts to make something of my own that works for me.

CallaLily said...

@ Yan Tan: Thanks hon!

@ ChocolateOrchid: I know what you mean. I think there is hope for us PJs, lol. I made a moisturizer this weekend with shea, coconut oil, and essential oils. Turned out nice. I may try adding aloe vera next time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails